This was a guest post I did for Stacey over at Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! back in September. Stacey just did a really fun week of mustaches, you have to check it out!!!
Hi Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! readers, my name is Kris and I blog over at everywhere orange.
I am a wife and stay at home mom to a 2 year old boy. I gave up my job as a high school art teacher to stay at home with my son. Everywhere orange is my space that is just for me to share crafts, cooking and a little orange. Every Friday I share an orange item in my house. You would be shocked at how much orange is in this house!! I am a long time reader and super fan of Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! and I am beyond excited to be here today to share my weather board complete with weather friends.
My son is obsessed with telling me the weather. He usually tells me it is sunny no matter what the weather really is. I decided he needed a fun way to learn the weather so I made this weather board complete with weather friends!
Peanut Butter says, "today's weather is sunny!"
This time he was actually right :)
here are the weather friends:
PB likes to pet the rainy beard.
The weather friends are velcro so they are easy to take on and off.
I hope the weather is never all these things at once!!
I had all this stuff in my house except for one piece of felt so this whole project only cost me 34 cents!! i love stash busting :) ok, let's get started!!
scraps of felt- white, yellow, grey, black and a full sheet of light blue
8X10 picture frame
peel and stick velcro
Cut all the shapes. You can find the templates for the weather friends and text here, print it onto cardstock:
Making the Weather Friends
1. split the floss in half. tie a knot and stitch up where you want the eye.
2. stitch down next to your stitch up.
3. leave a loop hanging.
4. stitch up and wrap your needle around the loop 3-4 times. then stitch back down pulling the knot tight.
5. repeat the knot for a thicker eye. repeat 1-5 for the 2nd eye.
6. start the mouth with a stitch.
7. this is a chain stitch so you go up in the center of your last stitch between the thread.
8. make your next stitch and repeat.
9. continue chain stitch until you create the desired smile.
Making the Rain Beard
1. split the thread. tie a knot and stitch up through and stitch down close.
2. stitch back up in between the last stitch.
3. tie a knot about 1 inch down from your stitch to make the rain beard. and cut.
Closing the cloud
1. stitch the sun in between the clouds. do a straight stitch.
2. whip stitch around the outside of the cloud. stuff with stuffing, felt scraps or even tissue.
3. whip stitch the cloud closed and knot.
Cut squares from the rough side of the sticky velcro and put on the back of the weather friends.
Making the Weather Board
Take apart the picture frame and keep only the back board. turn over so the inside is facing up.
squirt glue all over the back of the picture frame. spread glue with your finger.
smooth out the felt onto the back of the picture frame cut off the excess felt.
lay out the text and your weather icons. Cut a strip of black felt that is about 1/2 inch wide and 8 inches long.
place glue on the back of the black felt. glue it down and cut the excess.
put it back into the picture frame.
lay out your letters any way you like. glue them down. weigh them down with something heavy while they dry.
I hung my board with those 3M sticky strips that come with the 3M hooks. I put one at each top corner.